Bridge Program | Conditional Admission | Video
The mission of the English
Language Institute (ELI) at the University of Texas at
Arlington (UTA) is to:
1. Provide English as a second language
programs for international students that help students
improve English language skills needed to pursue academic
studies in a U.S. university.
2. Provide English as a second language
programs to international students and the global community
for academic, professional and personal development.
3. Assist students in their cultural
adjustment so that their academic pursuits will be both
enjoyable and productive.
4. Adhere to high standards of English
language instruction and program management.
Why study Intensive English at UTA?
- Intensive English is a non-credit
English as a second language (ESL) program for
- Applicants must be high school
graduates, 18 years of age.
- Students study in class 20 hours each
week in grammar, reading, writing, listening and
speaking. Computer and language labs are open for
additional hours each week.
- New students are tested and placed in
classes to fit their language skills.
- At the end of the program, students
receive a report showing their ability levels in English
and a certificate of participation. Intensive English can
issue Form I-20AB to allow non-immigrants to study
English in the U.S.
High Quality Programs
- The program is well established,
since 1980 .
- Classes are small (average of 13 per
- All levels are taught, beginning to
- All regular teachers have master's or
doctoral degrees in ESL or a related field.
- Students receive computer training,
instruction in accent reduction and research
- Students have access to both a modern
computer lab and language lab (audio & video).
- Guest speakers visit classes to talk
about the community and UTA.
Solid Student Services
- Conditional admission to UTA for
- Academic advising (for university
- Student advising (for housing and
- Use of UTA recreational facilities.
(For an additional fee)
- Auditing of regular UTA
- Airport pickup if needed (available
with request one week before arrival).
- Use of UTA shuttle bus for local
shopping and entertainment.
- Field trips,
picnics, and parties.
Good Location and Low Cost
- UTA has good programs, a nice campus,
and a low tuition cost.
- Arlington is
friendly, close to Dallas and Fort Worth, and has a low
cost of living.
- Texas is a large, diverse, and
fascinating state to explore.
- 38 networked computers.
- Personal e-mail, FTP, and file
sharing for all students.
- High-speed access to the
- Laser printers and scanner.
- Large software library for language
- Computerized accent reduction
- Online access to extensive library
- Language Acquistion Center
High-level Intensive English students may
study up to 8 credit hours per semester of undergraduate
courses while enrolled in Intensive English if they have met
all requirements to enter the bridge
Students may be in the program for no
more than two semesters. Upon successful completion of the
bridge program, students will be admitted unconditionally to
UTA's undergraduate program.
The Graduate English Skills Program
GESP is an intensive English course for international
graduate students who have been accepted into a UTA graduate
program and have unconditional or provisional status.
Students in numerous graduate programs at UTA, including
MBA, Electrical, Civil, or Mechanical Engineering, Landscape
Architecture, Linguistics, and Urban Development will
benefit from this course. Students use materials from their
graduate programs as they learn to write academic papers,
read textbooks and scholarly material, expand academic
vocabulary, listen to and take notes for academic lectures,
and make videotaped, oral presentations. GESP meets four
hours each day for 15 weeks (10 weeks in summer).
How you can apply for admission to the Intensive English Program:
Send the following items at least one
month before the program begins:
1. The completed Intensive English
2. An official diploma (with English
translation) from the student's high school or
3. A bank statement (no older than 3
months) showing at least the support amount noted in this
application form along with a sponsor letter indicating that
your sponsor will be financially responsible for you when
you come to USA.
4. The application fee of $75.00 U.S.
payable to UTA. This is not refundable. If a student does
not attend as planned, the fee can be used for one of the
next two programs. After that, a new application fee and
form are required.
Conditional admission should be requested
the U.S. embassy in the student's country requires it to
grant a F-1 (student) visa. Conditional admission is for
undergraduate study only.
1. Send the items above to the English
2. Find "Type of I-20 Needed" on the
application. Mark conditional admission.
3. We will send the proper UTA forms to
you to obtain conditional admission.
4. Return these forms to the English
Language Institute along with official high school and/or
5. Send a separate $50 evaluation fee
made out to UTA. (This is in addition to the $75 application
6. If you qualify, you will receive an
I-20 with "conditional admission" marked on it.
NOTE: You must apply at least 2 months
before a program starts to obtain conditional admission. UTA
requires the SAT for undergraduate admission. Students can
substitute successful completion of Level 6 for the SAT
verbal score. Graduate students may substitute participation
in the intensive English program for low verbal scores on
the TOEFL, GMAT, or GRE with the approval of the Graduate
- AAIEP (American Association of
Intensive English Programs)
- CALICO (Computer Assisted Learning
and Instruction Consortium)
- NAFSA (Association of International
- TESOL (Teachers of English to
Speakers of Other Languages)
- UCIEP (University and College
Intensive English Programs)
Students have the following
- Tuition and
Fees (payable at registration
- Health insurance (All international
students MUST have adequate medical insurance.)
- Personal expenses
The current Intensive English program
costs are listed on the application form. These may change
from one program to another.
The University of Texas at
- UTA is a major university in Texas,
with 25,000 students.
- UTA is located on a beautiful, modern
- UTA has an excellent reputation in
major important to international students, such as
Business, Engineering, Computer Science, Nursing,
Science, Architecture, and Linguistics.
For More Information
- English Language
- University of Texas at
- 402 Hammond Hall
- 701 Planetarium Place
- Arlington, TX 76019
- Phone: (817) 272-2730
- Fax: (817) 272-2731
- E-mail: ELIinfo@iep.uta.edu
- © 2008 University of Texas
top of page]